Monday, January 13, 2014

Duty-Duel with a Kitchen-Countess





…To laugh the giddy laugh of innocence
Or lie beneath noon’s tree in guiltless ease
Ah Childhood; Keeper of lost luxuries
Stolen somehow by Duty’s recompense

And suddenly I covet the romance
Of girlish fancies, crumpled ‘neath the glare
Of dirty dishes and dust-pan despair
While doggedly pursuing Duty’s dance

Somewhere, but not in crypts of lifeless sod
A shy grave sprawls where I dare never weep
Lest I forfeit these gifts within my keep
Of blessing rendered by dear Duty’s rod

Rose-fingered dawn will soon fold to its breast
Another day of toil and spoil and such
I tremble now beneath the testing touch
Where love and longing vie for Duty’s best

© Janet Martin~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!