Thursday, May 9, 2013

What's Missing?



   

Image Source   (...and info on program)

The facts are book-written
To teach and re-tell
Tell me, what is missing
In the message we sell

The facts fill graveyards
Penitentiaries
But somewhere we’re failing
Miserably

The facts do not lie
The writing’s on the wall
Yet something is missing
In spite of it all

The facts speak in rhetoric
Of verbose truth
Why is the message
Lost on our youth?

The facts are there
In word well-designed
But a trusted example
Is much harder to find

© Janet Martin

Let’s set an example our kids can follow!

I was looking through my daughter's D.A.R.E. book filled with facts teaching our school-kids the dangers of drugs, alcohol, smoking and how to deal with peer-pressure when confronted with the choice of yes or no. This book is packed with examples of situations and what to do or what not to do. I also see many of these kids who took the course a few years on…somewhere the message is being lost, not on all but on too many! Why? Part of me admits a sad answer, again not all but too many…bad examples.

 But be you doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves. For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like to a man beholding his natural face in a glass: For he beholds himself, and goes his way, and straightway forgets what manner of man he was.James 1: 22-24



4 comments:

  1. THERE SHOULD BE TRUE LESSONS OF LIFE, NOT ST MERE FACTS...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, these kids are old enough to understand the awfulness of real-life stories! So true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Drugs and alcohol are so insidious. I wish the Dare program were able to do a better job of discouraging it, but all our programs seem to be failing miserably in that regard.

    And even kids with good parental examples get sucked in all too often.

    "/

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so sad...kids from good examples/homes fall and sometimes kids from horrible examples rise because they live first-hand with the hurt!
    We live in a broken world, but there is one Healer. No addict begins with the intention of being one, and it breaks my heart.I think these programs can help raise awareness and for some, be a 'stitch in time' but I guess so many lessons in life we choose to learn the hard way, don't we?

    It just bothers me when I can hardly think of anyone who does not drink, even a little, as examples to point my kids to and they seem to know way ahead of me who drinks and who does not! All we can do is look in the mirror and ask ourselves, what am I doing to help?...or hinder?

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!