Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Of Contrite Recognition





Oh, I should never want to be
Absorbed with living’s this and that
So that what’s right in front of me
Falls heedless through perception’s cracks
And I should never want to pine
Gazing to skyline’s in my thought
Missing what Love has tendered mine
While hungering for what is not

Else I might miss the golden glow
Of laughter in love’s eager eyes
Or how the hope of heaven flows
Through crevices in darkened skies
And then perhaps I would forget
To touch and hold and taste and see
The beauty of love’s preciousness
And life’s awesome fragility

We cannot choose love’s holy hues
What God will give or when He takes
We ought to cherish gifted blooms
Before their petals skim the lakes
Moments transpire, volatile
Slipping across ephemeral dust
Lord, teach us how to recognize
Your gifts these moments lend to us

© Janet Martin


and Job said: "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised."  Job 1:21

Last night I had a dream/nightmare that somehow we were late for Emily's wedding because we forgot to look at the clock. When we scrambled to get dressed I realized that I had forgotten to get anything new for any of us to wear and Emily was calling from the church to ask what was keeping us! I just couldn't believe that I was so distracted that I forgot to look at the time!

It reminded me of this parable...



2 comments:

  1. This poem is one of your best, I believe.

    And you're right, your story called the same parable to my mind...

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Sue, I appreciate your kind encouragement. Thank-you. It is a thought-provoking parable, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!