Friday, May 31, 2013

Knowledge and Wisdom




We may have knowledge
To cover the earth
But it’s what we do with it
That measures its worth

***

Knowledge on its own
Is not of much use
Knowledge without wisdom
Is like a tree without roots

***

One may absorb a world of knowledge
Yet be unprepared for the strife
Of living, for wisdom is not found in college
But in the lessons of life

***

Knowledge without wisdom
Is like a ship without a sail
Its hold is full of luggage
At the mercy of the gale

***

Knowledge is a hat
Wisdom is a crown

© Janet Martin

(I began this as a 'Thursday thoughts' post, but Thursday ran out of hours:)

The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding. Prov. 4:7

Scripture teaches us the importance of knowledge and wisdom and understanding.

2 comments:

  1. You have most definitely gained wisdom. If I lived near you I'd invite myself over for tea (well, coffee most likely-ha) and ask you questions just to soak it up! Your words here and your words of wisdom on marriage in your post the other day are so spot on. I loved your analysis at the end of that btw...it's perfect, I think. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, I am blinking back tears right now. I wish I could serve you tea or Yes, coffee(I make a good one;). At least the 'porch' is always open. You have the special gift of encouragement and many times words like yours keep me from listening to that other prevalent voice of doubt and fear! Recently my pastor challenged me about hiding 'talents' under a bushel when I was uncertain about being brave enough to read a poem at church and I thought of words you wrote to me a while back about sharing at church. We need each other, don't we, for encouragement and accountability!
    God bless you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!