Sunday, May 5, 2013

It's Midnight





It’s midnight; all the colors of high noon are dark and deep
The marketplace is empty while the money-changers sleep
And all is still save for a distant mourning dove’s yoo-hoo
I wonder where you are tonight and are you lonesome too?

Time races yet it does not leave its footprint on the shore
No traces where the silence of expanses past implore
And yet I know that somewhere you remain as I, awake
Where midnight keens the hemlock’s sigh sweeping the starless lake

 No moonbeams pour their silver puddles to the placid dirt
The chivalry of star-song fades light-years before the earth
Tonight the shadows slip into spring’s chiffon-ruffled dell
Where once we wandered before Time demanded our farewell

It’s midnight; I remember when we laid beneath her touch
And we were not afraid of ticking clocks and years and such
But now Time slips its thieving fingers softly through the dark
Her moments never linger, their existence but a spark

It’s midnight; you and I should sleep like wise and weary men
But we are born to hear the ocean weeping in a pen
Darling, the world is not so large; the self-same starless deep
Hovers above us miles apart and keeping us from sleep

© J~





2 comments:

  1. Ooohh by way of words I cannot speak. This makes me want to sing but all that I emit is a coo.

    All so perfect words and pic. A couple of my favs:

    "star-song fades light-years before the earth "

    "It’s midnight; you and I should sleep like wise and weary men
    But we are born to hear the ocean weeping in a pen
    Darling, the world is not so large; the self-same starless deep
    Hovers above us miles apart and keeping us from sleep"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tug, your words always put a smile on my face...I'll bet your coo would too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!