Friday, April 26, 2013

The Way of a Poem



 Photo

…that’s just the way it is
The bending of a wayward breeze
Tugging at spring’s first emptiness
Or where the rains beat down all day
Tonight, a sudden quietness
…and somewhere there within the air
An earnest, umbral undertone
Murmurs against the solitude
Unwilling to be left alone
It dangles, spirals, somersaults
And even when I close my eyes
It reaches deep within the heart
Pulling its strings with tender sighs
Until I follow hungrily
To place my thought within its will
Where it hovers perplexingly
One breath beyond my readied quill
Then, as I turn to walk away
Words spill, like school-children at three
Pushing, rushing, a fevered fray
Of passion and timidity
All in a hurry to get home
You silly, thrilling little Poem

© Janet Martin

...or that's the way it was just now...I turned to go to bed and this silly little thing insisted, 'write me!'

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE it!

    I relate to the lines:

    One breath beyond my readied quill
    Then, as I turn to walk away
    Words spill....

    And I LOVE the last line, there's something endearing about naming her 'you sill, thrilling little Poem'.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!