Thursday, December 8, 2016

Poem-summons



My sister called me yesterday to see if I had ever heard of this poet: Grace Noll Crowell
As I read her bio this morning these words jibed with the soul of this word warrior...
"That quickened and awakened the desire to write poetry again." 

SO many things quicken that desire in me 
but none more than God's glorious handiwork.

A quickened wakening
Deep in the breast
A soul-sweet aching
Laden with request
A surging Urge like
A summons God-wrought
Beckoning word from
Soft stirring of thought

A roar that cannot
Be silenced or heard
Cupped in a vessel
Of hunger and word
Warrior-like wrestles
With whispers and then
Triumph that lauds
Its applause from a pen

Storm of devotion
Breaks barriers of fear
Want is an ocean
The page is a pier
Pacification
As thought is set free
Propitiation
In poetry

© Janet Martin


Whatever Else
by Grace Noll Crowell

Whatever else be lost among the years,
Let us keep Christmas still a shining thing:
Whatever doubts assail us, or what fears,
Let us hold close one day, remembering
Its poignant meaning for the hearts of men.
Let us get back our childlike faith again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!