Wednesday, September 28, 2011

A Sure Investment ( a Triolet)


http://withrealtoads.blogspot.com/2011/09/taking-break.html



It is not possible to waste time on a child

Investing time in a child is their future

The future is still innocent and undefiled

It is not possible to waste time on a child

A child with no hand to hold is soon beguiled

Hold them, gently scold them, guide, teach and nurture

It is not possible to waste time on a child

Investing time in a child is their future


Janet Martin


My first attempt at the Triolet.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful thought! Wonderful.

    Now what's a triolet... is that when you use your first line thrice?

    I'm curious (and I'm in a hurry, so I can't Google -- ha ha).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brenda,
    Isn't google a great resource? I needed it because it was a new word for me as well, but after I read Mike Patrick's poem (see The Poet's Quill) in the side-bar)I was intrigued by its style. This is the best I can give you on what is a triolet...


    Definition:
    The triolet is a very brief, tightly rhymed poem that, like the pantoum, takes part of its structure from the repetition of entire lines. A triolet is eight lines, as follows:

    1st line A
    2nd line B
    3rd line a (rhymes with A)
    4th line A (entire 1st line repeated)
    5th line a (rhymes with A)
    6th line b (rhymes with B)
    7th line A (entire 1st line repeated)
    8th line B (entire 2nd line repeated)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And yours is perfect. What a wonderful theme. When you find the right first line, the rest is simple. You really found the right first line.

    There is something in these French forms I find delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a delightful little form...I read yours a day earlier thought it would be nice to try, but, like you said, that first line is key!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!