Friday, September 23, 2011

Ode to a Rainy Eve





The cold rain hastes the ending of a day
The dark pine moans within its weeping knell
The landscape dims in folds of cobalt-gray
Beneath the tolling of the evening bell

The absence of the lusty cricket choir
Magnifies the musky sense of gloom
Hovering o’er the garden’s silent bower
Heavy with the parting of its bloom

Now fades the sky-line in the gathering eve
And now the dark and daylight intertwine
Until the dark prevails; light slips beneath
The edge of dusk on the horizon line

The night lies dormant in this solitude
Save for the leaf clinging with muted breath
To sodden arm of birch or maple wood
Before it sleeps in cradles of the earth

The cold rain hastes the ending of the day
Profluent sonnet drifting o’er the lee
As remnant sighs of summer slip away
To grace the silent shores of memory


Janet Martin

This is another rain poem I posted recently...
The rain stirs my muse,
I love the rain:)

5 comments:

  1. This was beautiful~ These lines spoke to me:

    "The cold rain hastes the ending of a day
    The dark pine moans within its weeping knell
    The landscape dims in folds of cobalt-gray
    Beneath the tolling of the evening bell"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rainy days can either be inspirational or depressing, depending on how you choose to look at them. I think the darker gray shades of everything outside makes what's inside seem especially bright and welcoming! Have a blessed day ~ whether the sun is shining or not :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you..on how we CHOOSE to look at them and on how we are feeling. I stayed home from church this morning because I have a NASTY cold! Even the sun looks a little dull today:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!