Friday, September 16, 2011

In Between


We walked through that field together
You and I
Urged by the restless weather
And the shifting sky
Desiring nothing but the warmth of each other
As our hands touched; that’s all
In this middle season of no longer summer
And not yet fall

The trees were poised for their grand disrobing
The chill on the breeze
Roused our minds toward dancing firelight
And evening and poetry
As we passed rows of corn stretching for miles
Like ragged infantry
And flowers relaxing their fullest smiles
Content to sleep peacefully

The bright-cheeked orchards groaned
As we meandered by
The vast emptiness of waiting moaned
As we lay beneath its sky
A sky leaning ever toward the tug of winter
But we disregard it all
As we lie in a field of no longer summer
But not yet fall

Janet Martin

6 comments:

  1. This is an in-between time, isn't it? You captured that so well! I loved 'And flowers relaxing their fullest smiles... content to sleep peacefully.' Made me think back to last year, when the kids were asking where all the flowers were going, and I said ~ they're just going to sleep until spring. I needed to read this ~ it lifted my spirits somehow :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan,
    You sound like a nice mother:) It is such a bitter-sweet season for me! Letting go of another summer...or is it letting go of another year? I told my husband that this time of year is sort of like the end or beginning of a year for me. It all passes so quickly! Your post today actually made my mind turn Christmas-ward for a little. Good for you on getting ahead of the rush!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janet ~ Part of me hates having to make Christmas cards outside of the season, but that's the only way to get them all made... I'm actually running a little behind though, I usually start in summer. It's hard to 'get in the spirit' that time of year, so I have to put on Christmas music... I agree the 'New Year' doesn't feel like a new year to me. Spring would be a better time wouldn't it? Hope you have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’ve been trying to work on my metaphors and similes—then I read of corn stretching for miles like ragged infantry; flowers relaxing their fullest smiles, and bright-cheeked orchards. I smile at the audacity of your verse, blending impossibilities into full-color paintings even the blind can see, and you make it seem so simple.

    I don't suppose you have any hints for the Sunday Wordle? It is giving me a hard time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to play around with those words for a little...tonight my time is not my own, but I might get up early and see what wanders through my head:)
    Good-night:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!