Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Today's Christmas Re-run...because some things simply don't seem to change



When did it all begin
This season of remembering
The birth of Jesus Christ the King
When did it all begin?

When did it all begin?
This season of profuse shopping
Of gift- giving and receiving
When did it all begin?

When did this love that Jesus brought
Become a sort of seasonal thought
Instead of a lifestyle that He taught?
When did it all begin?

…this eating, drinking, let’s be merry
Deck the halls, gulp eggnog, sherry
Mistletoe and holly-berry
When did it all begin?

When did it all begin?
When did hope, joy and peace
Turn into cooking and shopping
And weary emptiness?

Ah, where does it begin?
Does this season impart
Its celebration in my house
 Or humbly in my heart?


© Janet Martin

6 comments:

  1. Love it. I felt like her too a few times...:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect poem for the season. Some years I get it more right than others. Actually, for me, this has been one of the "good" ones. But I often fall into the pattern of wearing myself out and getting stuck in the thick of thin things.

    Merry Christmas!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, there's always next time to try again. In the end, midst all the busyness their are many great memories too!

      Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  3. Janet, I hope you and yours enjoy some peace and quiet in your house and your hearts tonight, on the Eve of Christmas.

    I remember this poem. Every year I try not to let all the stuff and fuss take over, but it happens anyway. It's just too much. If you find a cure for it, let me know :-)

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sasha, exactly...and if I start out too slow and relaxed I will end up with a few CRAZY-BUSY days, but now tonight...all is calm and all is bright, or make that foggy!

      p.s. I hope this posts. our internet is not working most of the time and the last time i talked to the guys they said 'as far as they can tell it should be working!:)' so I said I guess I'll wait and maybe it'll fix itself:) I simply can't stop by each blog-friend to wish them a blessed Christmas so I'm going to try to post something here...in time.

      Delete

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!