Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Two-for-two Tuesday...Picking Pussy-willows

Twirl, little girl, Dance, darling one...the bubble breaks and you are grown

PAD Challenge day 22:Write an optimist poem. Write a pessimist poem.



We pick pussy-willows
Thirteen and I
And marvel at how blue the sky
Sweeps past those plumes we cannot reach
Her chatter blooms, and I beseech
The mock of clock; its tick and tock
Stealing what I can never hold
And all the while
With seasoned smile
It knows that I am getting old
And cannot keep
The tearless weeping
Of an hour from the air
Or evade heaven’s wand
That graces youth
With laugh-line kisses where
Love, loss and longing keen a sigh
Striking Time’s timbrel; lullaby
And mornings meld
Escape withheld

Where she and I
For one brief spark
Pick pussy-willows
Ere the dark
Consumes the sky
The silver sheaf
Of pussy-willows
Turned to leaf

© Janet Martin

 


3 comments:

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!