Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Better The House of Mourning



 Yesterday we attended the funeral of another one of my mother-in-law's sisters. 
She was in her 88th year, spending most of them in quiet, humble service to her family and fellowman.
This verse was read in her funeral message of comfort and caution...

It is better to go to the house of mourning, than to go to the house of feasting: 
for that(death) is the end of all men; 
and the living will lay it to his heart.
Eccles.7:2



Better the house of mourning
Its meeting to attend
Than to ignore the warning
‘Soon life’s short stint will end’

Better the house of mourning
Where solemn heed is paid
To an orbit adorning
Life's dust-to-dust parade

Better the house of mourning
Than wine and feast's embrace
Lest we fall prey to scorning
The gravity of grace

Better the house of mourning
For there meek thought is bowed
Beneath Love’s tender awning
Resisted by the proud

Better the house of mourning
As mankind lays to heart
The crux of this sojourning
Where flesh and soul will part

© Janet Martin



While chatting with my oldest sister at the luncheon after the service, I mentioned that when I get home I need to tend to 2 Bu. of beans waiting to be preserved.


Guess who showed up at my house as soon as she could?!! Yep, Cheryl, my oldest sister.
Sometimes secretly I think her name might be Tabitha and this verse(Acts 9:36
in modern day could read something like this;
In Wallenstein there is a disciple named Tabitha (in Greek her name is Cheryl); 
she is always doing good and helping the poor.

SO glad Sat. night's picking is preserved...
  ...before we begin today's batch.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!