Wednesday, December 30, 2020

With Fresh Surprise

 

Where green had been,
White stucco sweeps...

...roll out to meet dark denim deeps

Where we, caught on the tides of change 
Gape at what nothing can estrange 
Like moonrise on dusky skies, pinned



Where green had been, white stucco sweeps 
Roll out to meet dark denim deeps 

The resting earth is kissed and tucked 
Beneath the heavens, sparkle-shucked 

Where we, caught on the tides of change 
Gape at what nothing can estrange 

Like moonrise on dusky skies, pinned 
As long and blue shadow-flues thinned 

Until the hand that none can stay 
Brushes the pretty world away 

And we are left peering into 
The cleft that centuries ran through 

Where, for a bit we own the eyes 
That gaze at it with fresh surprise 

© Janet Martin 



Psalm 39:4-6
4Lord, make me to know my end,
And what is the measure of my days,
That I may know how frail I am.
5Indeed, You have made my days as handbreadths,
And my age is as nothing before You;
Certainly every man at his best state is but vapor. Selah
6Surely every man walks about like a shadow;
Surely they [b]busy themselves in vain;
He heaps up riches,
And does not know who will gather them.


2 comments:

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!