Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Of Reaching Our Prime


Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.
Psalm 90:12


Never in a million years did I imagine when I was younger
 that a person's prime might be later in life!
Oh, the fantastic joy of discovery!
Finding in fumbles, not failure, but grace!
 Finding in dreams never come true
those we never dreamed!
Finding in relinquishment
love's meeker joy

Yesterday when the youngsters yelled 'go! go! faster! faster!!!'

...after a bit of trying to heed their  'faster, faster' 
I turned around and sang this song to them😅
The Old Gray Mare (aint what she used to be)


But in everything lost there is something found!

I am too old to be carefree 
The years have got the best of me 
The silhouette of leafless tress 
Is like a mirror, more or less 

I am too old to waste a day 
Wishing for what has passed away 
The penmanship of ‘how time flies’ 
Has etched its friendship in my eyes 

I am too old to make-believe 
About what time will not achieve 
Where gain and loss are like two vines 
As pain and pleasure intertwines 

I am too old to not look twice 
First at the cost and then the price 
Lest bites that seem so sweet at first 
Blind us to seeds, destruction-cursed 

I am too old to merely wink 
At the control tower of ‘Think’ 
For thought is the precursor to 
The Very All-important Do 

I may be too old for cartwheels 
To put much faith in how ‘one feels’ 
Rather than in the love of He 
Who calls to all ‘come unto Me’ 

...and I am not too old for joy 
To pray for growing girl and boy 
Or tune the common march of days 
With melodies of thankful praise 

Aha, the more I have of time 
The more I have to reach the Prime 
Of what Objective ought to be 
Love’s kindness and humility 

Love's kindness and humility
Will then in turn begin to be
True worship to the One who gives
True value to each day one lives

© Janet Martin



The ties that bind grow dearer
as the clock of life unwinds
Where each day draws us nearer
to the life we leave behind

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!