Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Seasoned Scene Sonnet

(click link to read the whole powerful chapter)

I am the Lord, and there is no other;
apart from me there is no God.
I will strengthen you,
though you have not acknowledged me,
so that from the rising of the sun
to the place of its setting
people may know there is none besides me.
I am the Lord, and there is no other...

It is I who made the earth
and created mankind on it.
My own hands stretched out the heavens;
I marshaled their starry hosts.


The morning melts the dark, the heavens spawn 
Dawn’s ever-ebbing shadows from the air 
Unrolling, like a bolt of blush chiffon 
Gilt gossamer that tumbles through our stare 
Unveiling labour, love and longing’s stage 
Where scenes change with each season’s ordered rite 
While overhead the heavens never age 
But mark the night and day with dark and light 
To leave its imprint not in stars, but hearts 
A script composed of constant no return
As ways and means of circumstance imparts 
An ever-startling scope of more-to-learn 
Hope, like a bud that still withholds the rose 
Keeps us caught between knees and tippy-toes 

© Janet Martin




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!