Sunday, September 5, 2021

Dear Almost-Autumn...The Way I Fall In Love


The way a red and orange leaf caught our attention last night
as my friend and I strolled through her yard
The way each butterfly in flight is a sun-catcher
The way fading flowers begin to number summer days
The way sedums begin to blush...
The way September steals in then sweeps us off our feet
Is all part of the way we begin to condition our heart to embrace the art of autumn...

The way that sunshine turns translucent, wings of butterflies

The way one’s breath is stolen by September’s sanguine skies...

The way that jars snare summer after its Season is through...

Is the way, Almost-Autumn, that we fall in love with you...


The way that sunshine turns translucent, wings of butterflies
The way one’s breath is stolen by September’s sanguine skies
The way that jars snare summer after its Season is through
Is the way, Almost-Autumn, that I fall in love with you

The way farewell’s suggestions start to seep through woodland tress
The way it tweaks soul-strings still thrilled with petal-happiness
The way The Inevitable presents its points of view
Is how I start to tell my heart to fall in love with you

The way bloom’s fringe turns brittle but Beauty remains intact
The way earth’s tinge showcases established matters of fact
The way no coaxing can revoke what is constant and true
Is the way, almost-Autumn, I yield to the touch of you

The way we cannot stay the heavy hand of come and go
The way wild asters spill to hill and field like purple snow
The way time’s give and take can make a heart ache with desire
The way late day starts earlier to stoke dusk’s shadow-spire/fire

The way goldenrod lamps gleam from creekbank, fencerow and woods  
The way each milkweed plume is primed with silver parachutes
The way the air begins to wear a chill we nigh forgot 
Is the way, Almost Autumn that I can forget-you-not   

The way the world is twirled on a four-season carousel
The way we straddle tides saddled to hello and farewell
The way we start to cherish clock-shaped treasure, moment-spun
Is the way that I always fall in love with You, Autumn

Dear almost-autumn, bear with me while I learn to begin
To undo summer’s tendrils tangled somewhere ‘neath my skin
Somehow, the way you wait while I grapple with gold and blue
Becomes the way, almost-Autumn, I fall in love with you

© Janet Martin






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!