Friday, November 4, 2011

The Betrothal

http://poetryblogroll.blogspot.com/2011/11/thursday-think-tank-73-waning-days-of.html



A molten lake beneath the soil
Midst mangled roots of stealth
The maple trees have laid their spoil
In vaults of nature’s wealth
Perhaps a last wild rose will dare
To grace its morbid tomb
And cheer some passer-by’s despair
To see this brave bud bloom

Beyond the visage of the hour
By naked eye unseen
The russet teardrop holds the flower
Of springtime’s rarest green
And as it lays its head to sleep
Among earths tangled ruins
A thousand, thousand whispers leap
To nurture summer’s tunes

Beauty may paint its brief disguise
Upon time’s naked skin
Yet, essence of true beauty lies
In tender folds within
While bully winds and storms may toss
Stark limb with stances bold
The tree stands strong and sure because
Of roots in burnished gold

The waning days of Autumn weep
Each frosted leaf a tear
But in earth’s bosom dark and deep
Begins another year
Ah, this is victory, bittersweet
Life waits in earthen tombs
A virgin slumb’ring ‘neath our feet
Awaiting autumn’s groom

Janet Martin

5 comments:

  1. I loved it; you have great imagery and the lyrical tone fits the playfulness of the season~

    So many great lines, but this was my fav:

    "Beyond the visage of the hour
    By naked eye unseen
    The russet teardrop holds the flower
    Of springtime’s rarest green
    And as it lays its head to sleep
    Among earths tangled ruins
    A thousand, thousand whispers leap
    To nurture summer’s tunes"

    Well Done~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ella, I loved this prompt, the picture is beautiful and the season is a plethora of inspiration. Thank-you so much for your encouraging words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janet, this one is very beautiful ~ my favorite verse is the same as Ella's... the photo of frosty leaves is also very nice ~ illustrates the weeping of Autumn perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank-you Megan,
    The prompt was sort of close to my heart and too good to miss. I had been hoping to do the poem-a-day challenge for November, but I simply have to let it go...being mommy and wife comes first... I know you know what I mean:) Next week I plan on fall-cleaning the whole house. No baby-sitting...wish me luck. Guess what I did the other night...I cleaned the dining room chandelier and decorated it for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well Megan, as soon as I wrote the comment to you, I took one last look at the prompts and I realized I could make a few work together:) Not anything spectacular, but it took 5 min. to write and this way I'm still in the PAD thing. I'm not necessarily posting them on the PAD site, but it is simply a personal challenge to myself to try and use all of the prompts:)

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your pause on this porch and thank-you for your visit!