Friday, November 6, 2020

I Wasn't Going To But...(The Futility of Excuse)

 PAD Challenge Day 6:

For today’s prompt, write an in medias res poem. 
In medias res means in the middle of the narrative. 
Or think of it as starting in the middle of the story 
instead of at the very beginning or very end. 
Like at lunch time or half way through eating your soup.

The Futility of Excuse

Confessions of four
the morning after
The sleepover...

Because 
it was 
 Halloween
because
it was
 Krispy Kreme
It was easy to eat
three or four
Because
They were airy
It didn't feel scary
to devour
a dozen
or more.

***
Confessions of a Housewife...

I wasn't going to
but the afternoon
was gold and blue
and the wind was
mischievous 
and flirty
So I stayed outside
and therefore 
that is why
the windows 
and floors
are still dirty

***

Confessions of Concession

I wasn't going to
but then
I walked, smack-dab
into a pen
It looked at me
so pitifully
I couldn't just
walk by,
could I?

For in a pen
trembles, hidden
A veritable
world
We'd never see
If everyone
just used a pen
for things like
trigo-
nometry 

So when 
that pen
with silent plea
looked up 
at me
what could I do
but try to free
the agony
of poetry
hidden 
from view

© Janet Martin




2 comments:

  1. Oh Janet, you make me laugh! What a gift to be able to set rhythm and rhyme to one's confessions!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!