Saturday, August 23, 2014

The Mirror Darkly





Though I talk through you, over and around you
Pretending you do not exist
Still, still, ineffable, somewhere inside me
I feel you wrangle and twist

Reason, rebellion and servile surrender
Grapple where years take their toll
When did it begin; oh, I cannot remember
Subtle, the swift seasons roll

Bowing beneath Time’s firm, resolute scepter
Learning the art of farewell
I brave the face-to-face proof of my weakness
Honest, inexorable

Silent and sear; eons soldered behind me
Rise like a ghost-town bathed in mist
Staid, stark silhouettes of burned-out illusion
Grapple and wrangle and twist

Somewhere inside me I refuse to name you
Lest I succumb to despair
Grace gilds the silk of a soft, waking morning
Life is a leaf on its air

© Janet Martin

 When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things. For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known. But now faith, hope, love, abide these three; but the greatest of these is love. 1 Cor. 13: 11-13

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!