Wednesday, August 18, 2021

If I Were An Onion...


For if you possess these qualities and continue to grow in them, 
they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive
 in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

2 Pet.3:18
But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
 To him be glory both now and forever! 
Amen.


Seeds that don't grow or bear fruit are good-for-nothing.
Which onion are we?
The onions I planted this year have not grown at all!


As I started pulling them in disappointed frustration
the thought struck me. 
Is this what God will pluck up when my life is over
or will I be a big, round Fruitful Onion?
(like the ones I purchased)


What a waste and pity
Seeds that never sprout
Always just a gritty-bitty
Shadow of a doubt

What a futile effort
After sun and rain
Not even a hint of fruit
Planted, but in vain

What a shameful outcome
Fruitless all the way
Still the same at harvest-time
As on planting day

© Janet Martin

John 15:2
Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away; 
and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit.

 

7 comments:

  1. Those onions you planted might argue they had a purpose, too: they were meant to bear poetry :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A question from obviously not-a-farmer: what do you do with onions you plant? (I assume you plant a lot of them.) Do they keep for a long time, stored somewhere cold?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes. they keep for a long time in a cool dry place. Last year I harvested enough onions to do me till this spring when the green onions were ready to use. usually I aim for a mixed bushel-plus of red, white and cooking onions, after using lots for preserving, but not this year. I really miss it. I am realizing how much onion I use in cooking and veggie-medley creations. roasted veggies, salads, frittatas, stir-fry etc. this year i will need to watch for a sale and buy a big bag or two:)

      Delete
    2. as an example. yesterday I canned a batch of tomato soup, salsa and working at a double batch of zucchini relish so just used up 16 cups of chopped onions! I will do a few more soup and slsa batches. For canned marinara and pizza/spaghetti sauces I use a recipe that asks for onion flakes rather than chopped.

      Delete
    3. Amazing. You must have hundreds of cans of veggies, and fruit... So much work, but then it's rewarded throughout winter, when you get to enjoy the fruits of your labor - I bet they cannot compare to the store-bought!

      Delete
    4. I have never counted them but yes, I likely do have hundreds in total. It is so nice to have in the winter (esp. this year with uncertainty to rising food costs!) and though the store has some yummy brands, because I have room to grow most of the produce this is more economical plus, I know what is in our food; I can control sugar and salt amounts and also no additives! Also, I enjoy it. This time of year would be drudgery if I didn't; long, hot days in the kitchen!

      Delete

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!