Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Of Side and Ripple Effects (of sin)

Mark 14:38
Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation.
The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.”

Phil.2:12-13
Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed,
not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence,
work out your own salvation with fear and trembling;
13for it is God who works in you
both to will and to do for His good pleasure./purpose





Sometimes I am stunned breathless
at the awesome responsibility 
resting on the shoulders of we who are
training the next generation...
As a parent, grandparent, 
as a child caregiver,
or teacher,
or Sunday School teacher.
Youngsters so beautiful,
 so precious,
 so smart, 
and so innocent
are trusting us!
May God give us grace and truth!

This past Sunday our lesson was about Samson, teaching us that
Samson is just one of many people in
the Bible who failed to obey God perfectly.
 But God still uses sinners in His plan
 to share His love with the world. 
Jesus forgives our sin. 
We can be part of God’s story to share the good
news of Jesus with others.
As we chatted about the story I told them I am glad when I sin
God forgives me and can still use me for his purpose and glory...
Before I had quite completed the sentence one little girl gasped
in horror, 'What?! she said, 'you are glad when you sin?!!"
So, I made sure they all heard the rest of the sentence.
Imagine the confusion if a class of little girls when asked what they learned
would report that the teacher said she is glad when she sins...lol!
So to clarify...I am sad when I sin but it really got me to thinking about whether
I am sad enough and quite as on guard as I should be.
Am I a teacher of truth or half-truths?

Sometimes I am agonizingly awed
by the craftiness of sin.

Always, always I need God's love/Word to show me the way.
Always, always I need his grace to forgive me and whisper 
"ups-a-daisy, dear. Try, try again,

This poem is a bit of battleground thought-blood...

The side and the ripple effects of disregarded sin
Seeps like a deadly venom, vile, and veiled by guile’s smooth skin
For, though we repent and receive redemption’s gift of grace
We do not instantly achieve the triumph of life’s race
But only then begin the fight that Satan delights in
To blemish the believer’s light with cunning ploys of sin

Alliances of evil would be too awful to bear
Temptation’s vexing vices oft would drive us to despair
Without the faithfulness of God whose armor will not fail
If we cling to His staff and rod, His pleasure/purpose will prevail
Then praise Him for the battle lest we slip to apathy
And wink because we think we have conquered the enemy

If we confess our sin, God, rich in mercy will forgive
The fight that we are in continues as long as we live
The master of deception clothes dark evil in pure white
The father of lies plays the charmer while his army lurks
To find chinks in faith’s armor and further destruction’s works

Diligence and enticement spar on battlegrounds within
Because God’s precious people are prized prey for schemes of sin
We ought to give most earnest heed to warnings we have heard
And with hunger for righteousness feed on God’s Holy Word
Because side and ripple effects of pride and selfishness
Can set a snare that twists the truth into ungodliness

Sometimes the stumbling blocks of sin may seem harmless and small
Until life’s testing storms begin, how mighty then, the fall
Where sin’s side and ripple effects employ a subtle tone
To soothe away the sacred void of The Chief Cornerstone
Until the side and ripple effects of sin cuts the cord
To holiest awareness of reckoning and reward

© Janet Martin

Songs like this cheer me on...
I hope they do you as well!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!