Friday, May 27, 2022

Faith's Perfect Plea


Psalm 38:21
LORD, do not forsake me;
do not be far from me, my God.

Psalm 94:22
But the LORD is my defence;
and my God is the rock of my refuge.







Do not forsake me, Lord
But be my fortress tall
Sin wields a decorated sword
And winks while victims fall

Do not forsake my prayer
Lest from the fold I stray
Lest, wise in mine own eyes I dare
To trust in mine own way

Help me hold dear love's laws
Lest I love’s proof discard
Lest presumption of grace should cause
Me to let down my guard

Do not forsake me, lest
I lose the faith to cope
Where cares besiege and vices test
The hardiness of hope

Do not forsake me in
Sorrow, lest I despair
Nor in my joy lest I should sin
And turn my heart elsewhere

…and I would dare to flee
The rock of my defense
Thy Wing whose feathers cover me
Where enemies commence

Do not forsake me, Lord
I need Thy constant voice
Lest I am lured from Thy True Word
By a buffet of choice

Do not forsake me then
Because the flesh is weak
And I am only strongest when
Your Spirit bids me 'seek'

The foe is wily, oh
I know that I would fall
Prey to pitfalls of pride-fear-woe 
Without You, Lord of all

How impuissant I
Left by myself would be 
Lord, bend thine ear to hear faith's cry
Oh, do not forsake me

Amen

© Janet Martin

Inspired in part by this:





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!