Monday, May 2, 2022

How Do I Love Thee, (Once upon Sweet Childhood's Girl or Boy)


(a rather sentimental undoing of a mother's heart
as she contemplates a mother's love for grown children 💝)

Birthdays have a way of doing that...
Happy 24th birthday, Matt!




How do I love thee, once upon sweet childhood’s girl or boy?
I love thee with a brutal grief and with a daring joy
I love thee like a gentle lamb yet with a lion’s roar
It seems like every day I love you like never before

How do I love thee? In a tender tumult borne within
My dear, you cannot guess the world unfurled beneath my skin
Or how a mother holds her babies close in spite of years
How love is like a medley of hugs, tugs, cheers, fears and tears

How do I love thee? With compassion’s firm and fierce regard
Because I know though love is sweet, love is grueling and hard
A holy weathering that cannot be estranged by miles
A prayer-worn tethering through sorrow-storms and sunshine-smiles

How do I love thee? like a dancer still learning the steps
A hold and letting go that Season-change cannot eclipse
With sympathy and hope and honor all rolled into one
I love thee like only a mother loves daughter or son

How do I love thee? with oft stumble-humbled gratitude
With by-the-grace-of-God whose kindness keeps courage renewed
With error-riddled aftermath and laughter’s grand release
With awe, while God is teaching me what makes a masterpiece 

From mom aka
© Janet Martin

Psalm 90:12
Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!