Friday, December 2, 2011

Torturous Tango



You don’t tell me what you’re thinking
And well, I guess I do the same
And I’m beginning to wonder
If this has turned into a game
You ask me how I am doing
I smile and say I’m just fine
I ask you what’s new in your world
And you hand me that worn-out line
“Oh, nothin’”
It’s a sad and a strange kind of two-step
A dull choreography
As words cover up the silence
Expanding between you and me
It’s a painful slow-motion tango
This dance that somehow we’ve begun
As you ask me what I am thinking
And I reply in monotone
“Oh, nothin’”
Empty words are like wall-paper
They simply cover up the truth
As we sit apart together
And speak of the weather, and food
Our eyes plead for a brave, new language
But somehow no one makes the first move
So we dance in the safety of habit
And ask each other what we want to do…
“Oh, nothin’”

Janet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!