Friday, November 19, 2021

I Cannot Help But Laugh a Bit...(A Precious Moments Medley)

Sometimes I look back on a day or week that at first glance seems quite commonplace
until its scenes/music plays back to me and I see it for what each moment is; precious!!

 



Pumpkin Snowman instructions here


Tea-party 'cheers'

...and last but not least, the ever-changing window-framed art of each season!!!


(because it was this view through my window as I was passing through the kitchen
that inspired the first four lines in this poem)


I cannot help but laugh a bit
At the dear and sheer thrill of it
Of seasons as they spill and slide
Across acquiescent countryside
Of vistas ever changing hue
Of kiss and hug, hello, adieu
Of Old Man Winter’s hearty grin
In spite of what we think of him
Of home-sweet-home’s sweet friendliness
To thwart life’s out-of-sorted-ness
Of cherishing the day in hand
On pedestals of waning sand
Of passing pictures, window-framed
Soon by the Rite of Twilight claimed
Of what seems common until we
Scan it with closer scrutiny
Where word like ‘us’ and ‘with’ and ‘we’
Suggest your lovely company
Suggest a cup of tea and such
The poetry of taste and touch
And then I have to laugh, tis true
At the sheer and dear joy of you

I cannot help but laugh a bit
And sing and weep and pray a bit
The fling and swing and sway of it
The come-whatever-may of it
The way the tune of Time is played
The way that flowers flare and fade
The ebb and ache and eddy of
The give and take of life and love
The sense of something like a dance
Where moment-medleys glide and glance
Where wave on wave of hours roll
Across shorelines of grave and goal
Where youth soon wears the tender trace
Of truth; where dreamlands interlace
With matters of four-season fact
Where time will not leave us intact
And Want is better now because
It is much simpler than it was
When we were green as spring, fresh-spun
And king and queen of Opinion
Where in the autograph of it
I cannot help but laugh a bit

© Janet Martin

Soon, soon a season's sweet collage
turns into echo-decoupage 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!