Wednesday, April 19, 2023

I Love a Life of Simple Joys or April Awe

 One of my favorite spring-highlights is unfolding...maple tree buds





I love a life of simple joys
Cup o’ chamomile tea
Laughter of April afternoon
Trickling through lace-graced tree
The tender tug of budded lures
Soft wafting overhead
Starred dark where dreams embark before
We are asleep in bed

I love the color of surprise
The violet stars that fall
To dapple dells and spark swells of
Sheer wonder-of-it-all
The innocence of child and pup
The flower-bowl of earth
Crowned with the perfect hue of blue
The merriment of mirth

Roused by the way the day begins
As heaven overflows
And mercy brims into hymns of
Coral, purple and rose
And as if this was not enough
Bird song that rings and rings
And rouses from awe-humbled hearts
Joy for life’s simple things

I love the way spring makes us glad
From our head to our toes
Like a firm handshake that can make
Us smile in spite of woes
The way that April woos the land
With kisses fit for kings
And wakens us to worlds unfurled
With wealth of simple things

I love a life of simple joys
Dimple in chubby cheek
Of baby boy or girl, a curl
To tease, a chin to tweak
A little plot to teach a tot
Who makes the garden grow
And how the seeds we plant can't hide
And we reap what we sow

I love the way a warm hello
Makes worth the farewell tear
How grief is the brute fruit of love
Yet oh, so very dear
If I could ask for anything
T'would not be stuff or toys
But just a humble plea to see  
Life, rife with simple joys

© Janet Martin

I love a life of simple joys
Dimple in chubby cheek
Of baby boy or girl, a curl
To tease, a chin to tweak...





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!