Monday, April 3, 2023

A Meek Appeal


“I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh
and give you a heart of flesh. 
And I will put my Spirit within you . . . 
and you shall be my people, 
and I will be your God”







Forgive my apathy
My soul, not wholly awed
Forgetful, where a blood-drenched tree
Extolled the Lamb of God

Forgive my wayward eye
From Cal’vry’s silhouette
Where grief does not compose a cry
Of true repentance yet

Forgive my easy loss
Of sorrow for my sin
Forbid, I gaze upon the cross
Yet bar the Door within

Forgive my errant whim
Desires, prone to pride
Unshaken, as I gaze on Him
With Self, not yet denied

Forgive my lack of zeal
For Your sufficient grace
Draw me back to the cross to feel
Your blood drops on my face

Forbid that I should bow
O Christ, beneath thy Blood
Only to return to sin’s slough
Like a pig to the mud

Remove my heart of stone
Break through my ache of skin
With renewed awe for You alone
Who takes away my sin

Forgive me when I seek
The willing ways of men 
Lord, enter in where flesh is weak
And make me strong again 

© Janet Martin






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!