Thursday, July 14, 2016

On Learning Life's Greatest Simple Truth



 The older I get I find I want much less of things,
but much more of love

Today's Poetic Bloomings Prompt: something I have learned



To learn its utter worth, firsthand
We must tenderly miss
Someone we love to understand
How truly dear love is

I, if my mind is wide awake
Should always have enough
With a small loaf of bread to break
And somebody to love

Then, should the curse of complaint find
My mouth, oh Lord, reprove
Lest in my greed, wide-eyed and blind
I never learn to love

Love is life’s sweetest, sacred prize
Ah, pray we do not wait
While we trample Want’s paradise
And learn this truth too late
 
To learn its utter worth, firsthand
We must most dearly miss
Someone we love to understand
How beautiful love is


© Janet Martin

2 comments:

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!