Monday, December 3, 2018

Let's Just Be Friends...


“A new command I give you: Love one another. 
As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 
By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, 
if you love one another.”
John 13:34-35

 These two youngsters are still learning the art of friendship; 
one minute its hug-you love, the next its hit-and-shove.
But they are babies and simply 'acting their age'
I've seen similar 'action' whether in body or language 
from we who are 'old enough to know better!'

 

...for there is always more to It Than that which meets the eye
Where judgment’s quick analysis cannot the full descry
So before we ignore the More that Mercy’s love defends
Let’s put our arms around each other and let’s just be friends

Let he or she who has not sinned be bold enough to stand
Aha! See there is no one who is fit to raise a hand
Then let’s not be so quick to shed a fellow-trav’ler’s blood

Let’s just be friends and then instead of condemnation’s slight
The love of God in us will fit us for life's soul-full fight
Instead of fist-a-cuff His love will change hearts, hard and blind
And turn fear into courage because words are soft and kind

© Janet Martin

inspired by a moment yesterday when I oh, so dearly wish I would have kept my mouth shut!

2 comments:

  1. Haha. I sometimes have those 'I should have kept quiet,' moments! Lovely, truthful words. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you! So nice to have friends who understand...hug!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!