Friday, September 6, 2024

Reason to Rejoice


Today's poem was inspired in part by joy and in part by sorrow...
Joy because God is compassionate and full of mercy
Ps.145:8-9
The Lord is gracious and full of compassion,
Slow to anger and great in mercy.
9The Lord is good to all,
And His tender mercies are over all His works.

..and sorrow, because its easy to forget
and live self-indulgently, rather than with 
sacred urgency for all who do not know or believe 

Today's Scripture reading began with this verse;
 Heb.4:1
Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us 
of entering into his rest, 
any of you should seem to come short of it.
(Read the whole solemn and comforting chapter HERE)

A new day!
What a gift of grace
Every day overflows with a 
fresh feast of highs and lows/thorn and rose
with no two days alike,
inviting us, each morning to the sweet anticipation of
moment buds unfolding reasons to rejoice!


One sweet reason for me today 
is my Cherry-Chocolate Latte Hibiscus, blooming profusely!
A birthday gift from a fellow flower-loving friend a few years ago.
(isn't its name deliciously fitting?!!)





For my debt of unuttered praise for grace and mercy, new again
For lack of awe for He whose ways transcend, yet tends Want’s pride-prone ken
For my oft apathetic love to He whose love none can descry
To the all-wise Creator of galaxies cupping earth and sky
For my debt of devotion paid to deities of carnal claim
Rather than to the One who made this day to glorify His name

For a balance, when weighed, that tips in favor of this world, not He
Who pours the sand of time that slips through frames filled with eternity
For ambition and noble thought, not ordered by sweet hour of prayer
For good intentions, oft forgot in the furnace where passions flare
For turning blind eyes and deaf ears to my Saviour’s unfettered grief
For every precious soul that sneers at Calvary in unbelief

For my debt of sin, unconfessed, for treasure held without a nod
In Your direction, richly blessed, yet thankless/trustless oft, forgive me, God
For my debt of worship I owe, to God who forgives and forgets
I pray, may glad praise overflow; grace rends shackles forged from regrets
Where faith and fantasy compete, Today, Lord, help me hear your Voice
As I lay my debt at Your feet, and rise with Reason to rejoice

© Janet Martin





No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you enjoyed your pause on this porch and thank-you for your visit!