Tuesday, September 3, 2024

Enough...A Prayer

Once more, mercy, new every morn
To we, of creature-plea
Sustains us till our souls are borne
Beyond the part we see
For all eternity




 

This morn, dear Lord I ask Thee not That I should understand Thy ways
Or decipher Thy higher thought, but trust in Thee and sing Thy praise

I ask Thee not for paths of ease, but lead me with Thy love so true
To wonders, veiled in agonies, when nothing but Thy Word will do

I ask thee not for wealth or fame; these are the pride of worldly want
Help me to glory in Thy name to shield me from deception’s taunt

Dear Lord, this morn I do not ask for more than Thy unfailing Hand
To hone, through commonest of task the holiness of Thy command

I ask Thee, Lord, for awe unplumbed as I think about Calvary
Forbid my heart is ever numbed to Thy great sacrifice for me

But, through the highs and lows of life, bid I praise Thee from morn to morn
And taste the mercies that run rife, though thou wast pierced with sword and thorn

Enduring hatred’s heinous blows, suffering even unto death
Yet, crushing death as You arose, my Lord, Giver of every breath

Maker and Ruler of all things, and captain of Salvation too
Lord, baptize my desires in springs where nothing but Thy Word will do

This morn, Lord, with joy undeterred, help me take up love’s cross anew
Knowing hope anchored in Thy Word will be enough to see me through

Amen

© Janet Martin

Today's poem was inspired in part by this morning's reading...

Heb 2:8-10
Thou hast put all things in subjection under his feet.
For in that he put all in subjection under him, he left nothing that is not put under him. 
But now we see not yet all things put under him.

9But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death,
 crowned with glory and honour;
 that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.

10For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things,
 in bringing many sons unto glory, 
to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings....
(read whole glorious chapter HERE)

Today's prayer was also drawn in part
 from hope's awe as I pondered
 the sacred taking up of
our cross each new morn, to follow Him

Matt.16:24
Then Jesus said to his disciples, 
“Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves
 and take up their cross and follow me.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you enjoyed your pause on this porch and thank-you for your visit!