Wednesday, September 25, 2024

In Loving Memory of my Sister, Lucy



This is the bitter-sweetest poem I have ever written...

Dear Lucy,

Your garden shoes at the back door
Your jacket on the hook
Your beautiful flowers galore
Your latest favourite book
Your mementos of such and such
You thoughtfully arranged
All leave behind your tender touch
Death suddenly estranged

The datebook you kept in your mind
How we would marvel, dear
At the methods you used to find
The day, the month, the year
With ‘I remember this because
We picked the pears before…
We went to…(then) how the weather was
And what outfit you wore’

While we would laugh and marvel at
Your sentimental trove
You turned to gifts of this and that
To touch someone with love
And shape part of the thing that Death
Both takes and leaves, in sync
The life we lived; as gifted breath
Spills in permanent ink

Dear Lucy, daughter, sister, wife
Mother, grandmother, friend
Your legacy of love in life
Was faithful to the end
Where part of you is silenced now
Yet much of you lives on
Love never fails, no matter how
We wish you were not gone

Our God who ordained all your days
Before one came to be
Though we cannot fathom His ways
Will help love (us) faithfully
To bear all things, believe all things
To hope all things, endure
His pardon that salvation brings
Holds living hope secure

Thus, we have no cause to rebel
Against His perfect plan
But rather, to live each day well
And love while we still can
Dear all of us who yet remain
Who only see in part
God never fails; He knows our pain
He heals the broken heart

Yes. I know we will dearly miss
Dear Lucy’s smiling face
Her cards and notes, signed, love, your sis
Her words of cheer and grace
Her questions, oh, her questions, and
Her quirky observance
Her always ready helping hand
Her lovely compliments

But, as we contemplate our store
Of precious memories
We cannot help but thank God for
Love’s favours, such as these
Farewell for now, dear sister-friend
Although our teardrops flow
We know that this is not the end
But just farewell, for now

In loving memory of my sweet sister, Lucy

Janet Martin

Lucy took a kind and generous interest in my writing and poetry blog,
often checking in to see if everything is okay
if for some reason a few days passed without a poem!
I will really, really miss writing, in part, for her!

Love… bears all things,
believes all things,
hopes all things,
endures all things.
Love never fails.

1 Cor.13:7-8

8 comments:

  1. What a beautiful tribute, Janet. I feel the loss you describe. Lucy was such a sweet presence on the Internet. I was delighted to learn one day that you were sisters! I first met Lucy through her blog years ago and then later connected on FB. I always appreciated her kind and generous comments on my own posts. How often they blessed me - I missed them when she stopped blogging. So I can well imagine how you will feel the great loss of her physical presence and interest in your own writing here on your blog.

    Wishing you His continued grace through the coming days ahead.
    With love, Brenda xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3 clinging to Phil. 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

      Delete
    2. She taught me so much... to go slow, to cherish, embrace, whisper, ponder, reflect... to see, and listen for, the Creator♡ Goodnight Lucy. We'll see you in the morning♡

      Delete
    3. <3 thank-you for sharing this. hugs and prayers!

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry for your loss. May God comfort all of you !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank-you so much for your words of comfort. They make me cry but they are tears of joy as well as grief<3

      Delete
  3. May the wonder in which dear Lucy lived her abundant life never leave us - from garden shoes to blooms and babies. I loved her for her contagious curiosity -exploring everything. Live fully and definitely continue to write beautiful poems. You have such a gift to share!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you from the bottom of my heart for your words of love for who Lucy was, and for your comfort and encouragement. Though I weep, it is with gratefulness as well as grief, for all the beautiful people that God is surrounding our family with<3 People like you, Hugs!!

      Delete

I hope you enjoyed your pause on this porch and thank-you for your visit!