Monday, February 6, 2023

Witness in the Making


The funeral service my husband and I attended today 
was closed with this sacred text from
the final words in the Holy Bible;
Rev.22:12-17&21
12 “Look, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, 
and I will give to each person according to what they have done.
 13 I am the Alpha and the Omega, 
the First and the Last, 
the Beginning and the End.
14 “Blessed are those who wash their robes, 
that they may have the right to the tree of life 
and may go through the gates into the city. 
15 Outside are the dogs, those who practice magic arts, 
the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idolaters 
and everyone who loves and practices falsehood.
16 “I, Jesus, have sent my angel to give you[a] this testimony for the churches. 
I am the Root and the Offspring of David, 
and the bright Morning Star.”
17 The Spirit and the bride say, “Come!” 
And let the one who hears say, “Come!” 
Let the one who is thirsty come; 
and let the one who wishes take the free gift of the water of life...

21 The grace of the Lord Jesus be with God’s people. 
Amen.



What will be said of you and I when we are laid to rest
Oh, what will be the legacy that transcends mortal goals
After we cease the evidence of what we now love best
When the reward of Recompense its sacred summons tolls

What are we doing to prepare for what waits one and all
Nobody knows how near or far we are to earth’s farewell
Thus, this sojourn is no eat-drink-be-merry festival
It is the holy prelude to either Heaven or hell

Where what and who we love most consumes thought’s most earnest quest
As thought’s most earnest quest turns into choice and consequence
And writes what will fill memories as we are laid to rest
And only God can break the seal that reveals Recompense

What will be said of you and I when death collects its due
Depends on here and now and how we use life’s little lease
Oh, pray that what will be remembered most of me and you
Is our love for God portrayed in love, hope, joy and peace

When we face what we all will face but once forevermore
What will God say when you and I step from this transient shell
When we witness the evidence of what we most adored
Will the reward be Heaven's joy or agony of hell?

© Janet Martin




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!