Monday, January 16, 2023

What Do I/We Know But This...


'Being a follower of Jesus is so sweet and wonderful and easy!' I said to myself yesterday,
...while sitting quietly in the comfort of a church pew
...being fed from God's Word!
Then BOOM!! As soon as I get up reality hits!
 I stick my foot in my mouth,
 I blunder,
 I err in judgement and desire,
I let Satan mock me, 
unnerve me, 
discourage me, 
oh!! the battle is real 
and relentless 
and hard!
Prayers often reduced to nothing more than 
 a flood of tears and groans...help me, God, help me 
to know how to honor and glorify You and only You.
this morning His answer seemed to flow distinctly through the
Bible in a YearGenesis 39 - 40; Matthew 11 passages 
summarized in two words 'trust' and 'obey'!


(I originally wrote this in first person but then changed it to 'we'
because together we weather the wants and woes and taunts and blows 
of faith's highs and lows...)

What do I/we know but this; when I/we trust and obey
The blessing of God’s presence is sufficient for the day

When God’s Words contradict what logic deems as right
Obedience and trust commit to walk by faith, not sight

God’s higher thoughts and ways hone hope’s humility
Blessed is the one who obeys unconditionally

Satisfied to believe what is not understood
Knowing God’s promises achieve His purpose for our good

Oh God, forgive me/us when I/we err in what I/we seek
The spirit is willing, amen. But oh, the flesh is weak

Lord, rebuke stubborn pride and teach me/us how to pray
Because wisdom is justified when I/we trust and obey

© Janet Martin

(sharing another good old hymn by David Wesley)


I think I started over 5 times with today's poem...
resorting at last to what we were repeatedly advised to do
when I was part of a writer's group years ago
'write what you know'...inspiring the first line instantly
'what do I know?? but this...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!