Friday, April 8, 2022

Once Upon Youth I Tricked The Truth...

PAD Challenge day 8: For today's prompt, write a what they never tell you poem.




Echoes run deep
Wild oats aren't cheap
Beware of clocks that feast on rhyme
Youth's eloquence
A vain defense
Against the hands of Father Time

Reflections of
Spent live-learn-love
Can serve up quite a picture show
Sometimes the dark
Just needs a spark
To teach us things we didn't know

A book, a hill
A windowsill
Expands four-season points of view
No one can steal
The way I feel
After an afternoon with you 

Discovery 
Will always be
Life's bitterest, sweetest surprise
The greatest death
While we have breath
Is life, after love's laughter dies

...and, sure success 
To happiness
Will be impossible until
We realize
To our surprise
It is a selfless miracle

Once upon youth
I tricked the truth
Or so I airily supposed
Until I found
It safe and sound
Unfazed by ways it is exposed

I have been told
That growing old
Is not for the faint or the weak
But they left out
The part about
How soon I'd learn of what they speak

© Janet Martin





2 comments:

  1. loved this over on Poetic Asides and love reading it again! So enjoying all your poems this month!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!