Tuesday, April 12, 2022

But By The Grace of God (til death doth part)




Not counting all the times, we didn’t see quite eye to eye
When your druthers and mine were like December meets July
When opposites that once seemed so attractive start to irk
As we reevaluate what it takes to make ‘us’ work

Not counting all the days when love's 'tone' was misunderstood
And we did not respond in ways like two grown adults should
When we behaved like rivals rather than husband and wife
I’d say we are exceptional at rocking married life

Not counting all the rules that unschooled mid-life love ignores
Until our tempers cool, no longer fooled by lion-roars/'winning' scores
I’d say in spite of all the times we bite instead of kiss
That you and I are prime examples of sweet, wedded bliss

I hope that life becomes a 'losing track of years' because
Of moment-thrum's momentous sums; the love-story of 'us'
Where, in spite of those times we blush some sad excuse to fend
We'll look back on a life of 'us'; love, faithful to the end

© Janet Martin

2 comments:

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!