Friday, April 29, 2022

Little Life-Ladder

Psalm 143:8

Let me hear Your loving devotion in the morning,
for I have put my trust in You.
Teach me the way I should walk, 
for to You I lift up my soul.


I have a few friends going through terribly difficult seasons!
Whether we are in the valley of the shadow of death
or enjoying a view from the heights of success
we are where we are by the grace of God
on our way to beholding Him!


I wish I had a picture of Tot yesterday,
standing at the bottom of this ladder
and looking up, up as if wondering
to what wonderland it leads...
 I identified with the wee one, as I too sometimes
look up, up beyond the Meanwhile...



Through the thick and thin of laughter
‘Neath the rise and set of sun
Before turns to ever-after
Gold and gray mingle as one

In the grin and groan of earning
Wisdom’s wonder-wizened crown
We will never outgrow learning
Till we lay these bodies down

Where ways once keener/greener and younger
Kisses faces with lost youth
We, honed by hope’s sacred hunger
Cling all the more to God’s truth

Not forgotten, not forsaken
As He draws us to the shore
Where death’s sleep is but to waken
In His Presence evermore

Through the highs and lows of living
Flows the wellspring of Enough
Where God, gracious and forgiving
Lavishes us with His love

In the hearing and the calling
Until death collects its claim
We are climbing and yet falling
Up, yet back from whence we came

In the valley of death's shadow
Or on heights of sweet success
Life is like a little ladder
Leaning on/leading to Eternalness  
 
© Janet Martin

Oh, imagine if we had the visual of our little life-ladder
(wherever we happen to be in time's climb),
 leaning against Eternity
held by He who is from Everlasting to Everlasting!

Psalm 116:5
Gracious is the Lord, and righteous;
Yes, our God is compassionate.




2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you/your friends are going through some terrible times. Esp loved this: We will never outgrow learning
    Till we lay these bodies down

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank-you SO much. I am so sorry for them too! The older I get the more it hits me just how fragile and little life's ladder is! And how vital faith's footing<3

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!