Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Does My Life Really Matter?





When the snow blows cold over my grave-stone
And time has long forgotten me
When the life I live is the dust of bones
And my name, not even a memory
Tell me, precious person, oh, tell me true
Does life really matter or what I do?

When the clatter of moment-matter stills
Enshrouded in Past’s endless pall
When season-to-season-to-season spills
Without one thought of me at all
Tell me, will it really matter a bit
This life I live and what I do with it?

What is the meaning and worth of my life?
This pull and push of plow and pen
This little pittance of pleasure and strife
When I die, will it matter then? 
After the laughter and sorrow of years
Will life really matter when time disappears?

When the world is a-whirl with years to come
And I, a faceless name perhaps
On somebody’s family-tree, the sum
Of cares that filled prayers, arms and laps
Will it matter a mite, this flight on sod?
...this rite of passage that leads back to God

Here, where it is certain that Time forgets
The once-upon-a-him-or-her
As its warm wind shimmers from east to west
Over this place where milestones were
Will it really matter, this vapor-cajole?
Oh yes, because life is a matter of soul

© Janet Martin

Not so much The What as For Who?
God never forgets either me or you!
We are all His whether we know it or not!
This matter of moments matters a lot
Because soon we will meet the One who gave
The soul that once wore those bones in the grave


 It is written: “As surely as I live, says the Lord, every knee will bow before Me; every tongue will confess to God.” So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God. Therefore let us stop judging one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother’s way.…

Romans 14:11-13

I know I've posted this song before, but I love it!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!