Monday, May 22, 2017

The Irony of Joy

I wish I could post the video of this finch singing for joy 
but that part on my blog does not work right now:(




In serving others love grants joy
For selfish quests can never fill
The void that grasps at dust’s decoy
That seems a better Thing until
Self tries and tries and tries again
To please with pompous pelf, in vain

…for Self cannot be satisfied
Nor will its revelries be stilled
While it worships idols of pride
Want’s hunger cannot be fulfilled
Until Self learns how to believe
Better to give than to receive’

What irony, this tested truth
The more we give the more we get
Though self, oft greedy and uncouth
Is unwilling to submit yet
oh, when it does, Surrender sings
With joy that serving others brings

© Janet Martin

2 comments:

  1. "What irony, this tested truth
    The more we give the more we get"
    ... such truth in these words.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!