Wednesday, March 8, 2017

A Psalm of Simple Joy





I sing a hymn of humble joy 
…for love of question-brimming boy
For hug from giggling little girl
For kitchen ballerina’s twirl
For kettles that pour more than tea
For supper-soup with family


I sing a melody of praise
For common, ordinary days
For common chores and mundane dues
For moody March-anointed hues
For prayer that draws us to God’s throne
For earth-havens of home-sweet-home


I sing a song of gratitude
For tide of morn and hope renewed
For happiness not bought but spun
For tasks still waiting to be done
For painted front doors, flower-pots
For violets and forget-me-nots


I sing a tiralee of love
For buds-in-waiting treasure trove
For ink to paint a poem, oh
For orange-pink-purple twilight-show
For almost April afternoon
Oh Lord, I sing to Thee a tune

© Janet Martin

Over and over the Psalms remind us to sing to the Lord! (here a just a few invitations)

 Come, let us sing for joy to the Lord;
    let us shout aloud to the Rock of our salvation. 
 Let us come before him with thanksgiving
    and extol him with music and song.
Psalm 95:1-2

 Sing to the Lord a new song;
    sing to the Lord, all the earth. 
 Sing to the Lord, praise his name;
    proclaim his salvation day after day.
Declare his glory among the nations,
    his marvelous deeds among all peoples.
Psalm 96:1-3 

 Rejoice in the Lord, you who are righteous,
    and praise his holy name.
Psalm 97:12

 Sing to the Lord a new song,
    for he has done marvelous things;
Psalm 98:1

 Let them praise your great and awesome name—
    he is holy.
Psalm 99:3

 Shout for joy to the Lord, all the earth.
    Worship the Lord with gladness;
    come before him with joyful songs.
Psalm 100:1-2

4 comments:

  1. Oh, such a beautiful post, Janet.

    And where have you seen those painted doors? Are they decorative or functional?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you. I took this photo in a near-by town, Elora Ontario. I call Elora the town of painted doors! Sometime i hope to do a post with photos taken of the doors that catch my eye. The doors in the above photo I think, are decorative. I didn't try them and I expect one could be functional, but not sure. Since my babysitting hours increased extensively I have little 'free' time. someday it will change again and hopefully be able to add some extras... I've learned not to fret (I think:) because everything is but a quick season.
      I am off next week because of March break and torn between taking a leisure week or a 'let's spring-clean the whole house' week! Likely it will be a bit of both!

      Delete
  2. I sing a hymn to this wonder poem and the person who wrote it

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!