Friday, October 29, 2021

Morning Prayer

 

Jesus answered,
“I am the way and the truth and the life.
No one comes to the Father except through me.
John 14:6

In Him was life, and that life was the light of men.

Oh, that the joy of the Lord would ever be
the 'background to our consciousness'!
The excerpt below from the book

(I esp. love the prayers in this book)


This morning's prayer-poem started before I was out of bed,
as I prayed the third stanza,
(for how can I/we have a closer walk with Him
if there is an area of unrepentance still unaddressed?!)
I kept switching this from a personal I/me format
to a general us/we settling on the latter
because we are all in this faith-fight together
and it is the prayers of God's people that
keep His army strong!


Father of earth and Heav’n
We praise Thee for Thy grace
In this new day that Thou hast giv’n
Let nothing take Thy place

Be Thou our strength and stay
Over each thought preside
For thought shapes what we do and say
Then let Thy goodness guide

By the lamp of Thy Word
Convict the rebel-heart
Because without conviction, Lord
Repentance cannot start

Lord give us eyes to see
The fringes of Thy Hand
The thunder of Thy majesty
Ah, who can understand

But let it be enough
Whether in gain or loss
To know Thy everlasting love
Was proven on the cross

Help us fight the good fight
As warriors of peace
Fit us with Thy armor of Light
Where doom’s dark threats increase

Where pitfalls plague and test
Where enemies press hard
Lord, bid our souls to be at rest
Yet ever on Thy guard

Help us hunger and thirst
After Thy righteousness
Let truth keep us from being cursed
By vain covetousness

Father of earth and heav’n
Instill in us the joy
That at faith’s birthplace first was giv’n
And man cannot destroy

As we face the unknown
Let Thy Presence portray
One Hand beneath each stepping stone
And one to show the way

© Janet Martin





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!