Friday, November 1, 2019

Once Upon a Mother's Love...

It's November. Writer's Digest's Poem-a-day prompt begins again!

With a change in pronouns this could be  'dad' or 'parents' poem as well
but because my dear mother turns 77 today, I wrote it for her.
The older she and I get, the more I cherish the person she is
and the more I realize how much I took for granted!)

(my mother, being of a meek and modest nature
might not object to one small pic of her peeking from behind some blooms)

Happy 77th, mom!



Oh, once upon a younger love
Before Time turned the page
That stirs revised collections of
A fond and foreign age
There, from a well of priceless ink
No child can comprehend
The poetry of childhood’s wink
Was unconsciously penned

Oh, once upon our mother’s prime
We spent her best of days
Oblivious to Father Time
And his insistent ways
We out-grew shoes and buttered bread
And learned to do our share
Blind to the sacrificial thread
That wove her loving care

Oh, once upon a simpler day
(We didn’t see it then)
While balancing work, play and pray
We became women, men
And looking back thanks often falls
Beyond the reach of word
Where once upon much greener halls
Childhood’s swift seasons blurred

…as once upon a mother’s love
Her fledglings learned to fly
Up, up, love's brave and tender shove
Propelled us to the sky
While we, intent upon the stars
Did not fathom her part
Until we bore love’s battle-scars
And wore a mother’s heart

© Janet Martin



Yesterday morning was our annual mom's birthday tea with my sisters and sister-in-laws;
ten of us in total and always a special time of food and fellowship
as we reconnect after a busy summer and plan for Christmas etc.
My contribution to the food was 
Oatmeal Raisin Pie

Mix and pour in unbaked 9" crust...
(handful of raisins sprinkled on crust optional)

1/4 cup melted butter
1/2 cup sugar
 3 eggs, beaten
1 cup oatmeal
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (and/or nutmeg)
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup corn syrup

Bake approx. 45 min at 350F

2 comments:

  1. So beautiful! I’m not doing poem a day b/c I just became a Grandma to a beautiful granddaughter- and we’re helping our daughter. But I’ll be reading and cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations!!! welcome to the beautiful life of gramma-hood! I'm not sure if I will be doing it either. I have not posted on WD because of grandmothering as well and other etcs:) If I post I want to be able to be involved in the reading and raving part as well and that cannot be done the way I write...a line here and there throughout the day as hustle-bustle of love and life allows! Love reading your poetry but I understand. Enjoy your newest member of the family and God bless!

      Delete

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!