Thursday, August 15, 2013

Of Poetry and God




 Pictures of Poetry by John Clare and James Whitcomb Riley


We need a little poetry
The gold on gray, the waking breeze
On life’s highway before the day
Distracts with its formalities

We need to drink the song that spills
From nature’s unsuspecting choir
Or else the hush of blue and blush
Dies like a heart without desire

To fully live is more than pulse
To breathe is death if cares eclipse
The written rhyme and paradigm
Of season-song from heaven’s lips

We need to read God’s tender thought
He loves us so and gave to men
A ceaseless page from age to age
Of poetry from nature’s pen

© Janet Martin

I’m listening to the crickets; come August they never quit! Just like God’s poetry; it spills and fills the vales and rills. When I read centuries-old poetry I am struck by the fact that God’s poetry inspired then just as it still does.

Poetry, before it can be taught or read must be realized.



5 comments:

  1. It's true we need a little poetry every day!

    I can see it... the gold on gray. Lovely.

    I do hope, dear Janet, that you are putting your work into a book, and if you already have one, I'd like a copy so it can live on my desk or bedside table within easy reach!






    ReplyDelete
  2. The 'gold on gray' was inspired by the sun on the highway as it rises, and turns the gray to gold:)

    I hope to publish a book someday but it takes a bit of this $$$, which I can't seem to save enough of right now. Thank-you for reminding me to keep dreaming though:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. Praying is more like it, dreaming yes, but praying if God wills then He will open the doors or show me which ones to push. Thank-you Brenda, your words are a nudge toward the pushing.

    God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, you certainly have the pieces to push and the highway you're on leads to streets of gold, just through those gates of pearl.

    "A ceaseless page from age to age" - wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. TUG, see you there! Your constant words of encouragement bring these verses to mind in Phil. 2 'Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves; do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!