Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Life's Laurels



I have one daughter who on more than one occasion has commented to me, ‘how can you stand it! (My life)’
She looks at me and thinks ‘what have you ever really done , and how do you still get excited about it?!”
If we are blessed, life grants a holy repetition of that which we are called to…I don’t always get excited about the idea of more laundry or cleaning etc. But the Love that gives life meaning excites me every time.

I love this quote by Eric Liddel:
“In the dust of defeat as well as the laurels of victory there is a glory to be found if one has done his best.”

If one has done one’s best, my friend,
Regardless of the dividend
Then time is not some hapless falling
As each creature care we tend
But a most high and holy calling
To an intermediate end

…for at the end of days, my dear
Begins what we should full revere
The very cause of all we do
Will in that sacred Then appear
Thus by this fact we ought to view
Time’s mission with love’s moral fear

Then, if we do the best we can
To serve, not self, but fellowman
By this we serve our God who gave
Each one a purpose in His plan
For we are all servant or slave
The grave but death’s dust-charlatan

© Janet Martin

Today's 'best' includes preserving peaches:)!


Therefore we also have as our ambition, whether at home or absent, to be pleasing to Him. For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may be recompensed for his deeds in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad. 2 Cor. 5:10

3 comments:

  1. Once, when I was lamenting an inordinate amount of time I had spent in serving an acquaintance that now appeared wasted, I was reminded of the story of the woman who had broken a vial of expensive perfume over Jesus' feet. To many of the onlookers her act appeared wasteful, but Jesus turned the tables, as he often did, and said that anything done for love of him was an act of worship and held great value. Now that's a dividend. It changes the way I approach my own often weary round of housework.

    Thank you for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank YOU for bringing joy to pear canning on a sweltering day! and for the beautiful reminder for us to pour out our best for Him!!

      Delete
    2. ...yes, this week it is pears but only a bushel...much less than the 6 bu. of peaches Emily and i did.

      Delete

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!