Friday, February 23, 2024

I Love to Loiter at a Brook


It's hard not to be a bit delirious with delight
when February is more like end of April!
So I took advantage of every opportunity this week to 'play' outside!
On Tuesday the brook was still breaking free!








Today, after a few melt-days it rolls and chuckles without any snow to slow it down!





Be Still and know that I am God
Ps. 46:10



I love to loiter by a brook, to listen to its timeless tune
To taste life’s purest pleasure without wishing for the stars and moon
To note, with tender satisfaction that which progress cannot press
To find within its sanguine song a kind of child-like happiness
To chuckle as its chubby chortle cheers hearts without sound advice
A lithesome lilt of silver sparkles and deep darker tones suffice

I love to linger in the counsel chambers of willow and birch
Or, perch upon a makeshift pew in nature’s treetop frescoed church
And there to hear the voice of God uninterrupted by my plea
As awe silences reasoned-why with nature’s gentle empathy
With whispers from the wizened pine, with warble from the little bird
To remind me Whose will prevails and whose purpose is undeterred

I love to set aside my sack of sorrows on brook-banks, to sit
And ponder He who holds tomorrow and knows every bit of it
To listen, then to catch this joy; 'be still and know that I am God'
Ah, nothing is impossible with He who rules sky, sea and sod 
And nothing quite compares to sitting at His feet beside a brook
To be content with wonder-plunder, I don't find if I don't look 

I love to loiter by a brook, to court its buoyant countenance
To reconcile the recompense of youth with Truth’s resilience
To want for nothing as I listen to its unfatiguing tunes
To count among my most treasured mementoes those fond afternoons
When I would leave behind the grindstone filled with constant care and chore
When I would loiter by a brook and find what I was looking for

© Janet Martin


I love to linger in the counsel chambers of willow and birch
Or, perch upon a makeshift pew...


 in nature’s treetop frescoed church...






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!