Monday, February 12, 2024

Dear Henry Van Dyke (and a few other rare old writers/poets)



Books that touch me/move me as often and deeply as the one below
are far and few between!

Thank-you Henry!



You are my friend though you were gone long before I was born
And we have never met, save in words penned in days of yorn
You move me still, where once your quill traversed a barren page
To leave behind kind fellowship for folk of future age
To touch us in those places time cannot affect, it seems
No matter how it chases generations through its schemes/dreams

I love you, though to tell you is a joy deferred and weighed
In a balance that tips toward a door none can evade
Till then I'll taste thy turn of phrase with slow and sheer amour
To think that ink can keep alive what death cannot devour
To touch us with affections Time cannot thwart by its toll
As you arouse reflections in rivers poured from your soul

You make me smile and weep and laugh and sigh in sweet surprise
You steal my breath; earth moves beneath its motionless disguise
Oh, how I wish that I could shake the hand that shaped the thought
That gently cheers an afternoon, soon otherwise forgot
You touch me as if we were just a fireside apart
Sharing a glimpse of heaven as we commune, heart to heart

© Janet Martin

Below are a few examples why I love this writer so much!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!