Friday, January 12, 2024

Brief Encounter (with Today) or Truth's Long Encounter (with Eternity)

 Ps.139:16

all my days were written in Your book

and ordained for me

before one of them came to be...


Heb.3:12-13

Take heed, brethren, lest there be

in any of you an evil heart of unbelief,

in departing from the living God.

but exhort one another daily

while it is called Today;

lest any of you be hardened through

the deceitfulness of sin


I wonder what today will bring!

Yesterday brought a sweet visit with my sister 

at a friend's beautiful home!

...and an opportunity to be utterly enchanted 

by our Creator's handiwork

as we walked on a riverside trail nearby!





this poem originally was the first three stanzas, 
then, as I was posting it, three more tumbled out😅😏
so, maybe you just want to read three or maybe you will read six.
Either way, may God bless and guide you and me 
 as we try to make the most of
Today's Brief Encounter

Where you will go, I know; your predecessors lead the way
Through twilight’s westward gate each brief encounter disappears
Yet, when I wake, once more you fill each window, like a tray
Replenished with what waits to fuel prayers, laughter and tears

And, though I do not know the ins and outs of ups and downs
I know Whose faithfulness abides to cup each come-what-may
That waits to weave an echo-labyrinth of smiles and frowns
As yesterday’s tomorrow dons the fleet shoes of Today

…to run beneath my feet, the sacred sweep that ekes toward
The finish line where Time and taker’s marathon is through
Thus, dear Today, before you fade where dusk tugs heaven’s cord
And tucks you beneath stars, I want to make the most of you

Because only God knows how many of you yet remain
Before each Today He ordained for me has come to be
So then, because I know that you will never pass again
I want to make the most of mercy's gift of you to me  

Because there is much more than memories to make, at stake
Much more than love's emotional or sentimental spree
Today is the day of salvation; a gift all should take
To prepare for Truth's Long Encounter with Eternity 

Then we should pay attention to each Today that we have
(As surely as the upward flight of sparks, its end will be)
But, Soul transcends the trek that spans between cradle and grave
Where Today's brief encounter hems Truth's Long Eternity

© Janet Martin





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!