Friday, October 7, 2022

Because You Can't Have One Without the Other

(I apologize to you who read, sometimes before I've found 
some editing flaws I missed previously...
These poems generally get penned and posted amidst 
MUCH more than merely writing)

Wow! going from 23C yesterday to 6C this morning gets one's attention!
There's no denying it: another garden-year is drawing to a close!




But the flowers are not going to fade without a fight!

They've shrugged off a few frosty kisses already!


Maple trees toss their fiery tresses, as if daring Father Time!
He just smiles because he knows who always wins in the end.


October's to-do list is bittersweet!
-cut back or pull out spent glory.
-Harvest final fare
-Dig out flower bulbs that can't withstand winter-brr!
-plant flower bulbs for spring tulips etc.
-Collect seeds for gardens not planted yet
-Tuck leaf-duvets over slumbering flowerbeds
-Plan for next year's growing season/gardens

The folding always follows the holding💞

Sometimes I tend to rue the shadows of longing’s despair
Forgetting that it is the sun that puts the shadows there
How quick the readiness of thorns beneath love’s lovely rose
Can prick the headiness of holding with soft curtain close
The hellos that fill hugs/mugs with happiness ignites the knell
That trembles in the offing that assembles fond farewell
The wind that woos the lover to the darling of his heart
Is the same wind that hovers, to dearly draw them apart

Oh look! The baby smiles and coos and sits, walks, runs, then flies
Time’s book full of spent centuries still takes love by surprise
Thus, I cannot afford to stand too long with mournful stare
To gaze upon a world that fell to pirates of the air
Where waves that roll across the shore and thrill children at play
Are followed by the waves that wash their sandcastles away
And the breath-taking beauty of life’s garden in full wreath
The prelude to the duty of the grave that lies beneath

Sometimes, I tend to rue the letting go of seasons felled
Until I look back, humbly glad for all I had and held
Sometimes, I tend to rue the rending ache for seasons spent
Until, with awe I thank God for the loveliness He lent

© Janet Martin


Sometimes, I tend to rue the letting go of seasons felled
Until, with awe I thank God for the loveliness I held...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!