Friday, March 25, 2022

Traitor's Kiss


Forbid that Sunday's worship service
is not simply something I 'do' before I can
'get on with the rest of my day/week'
Forbid that worship is but a once-a-week-ritual,
rather than a daily out-pouring of loving gratitude.





Forbid it, Lord that my life is well-honed hypocrisy
That I betray Thee with a kiss where humble love should be
Pray, in the garden of my thought I do not raise a sword
Seduced by a more luring lot than ‘all for Thee, my Lord

Forbid that I should fail to bear faith’s cross devotedly
And fall into the cunning snare that Satan set for me
That, though with words I honor Thee my heart is far adrift
Unmoved by scenes of Calvary and love’s redeeming gift

Forbid, that in life’s dreadful end judgement exposes it;
How I was never a true friend but just a hypocrite
Forbid, that I should never seek Thee Lord, with all my love
But with a traitor's kiss upon Thy cheek, my hatred prove

Forbid, that when it is too late to undo what is done
At last, I repent of my hate when hell its prey has won
Forbid, I slight the armour that equips, no substitute
And pray I may remember the tree is known by its fruit

© Janet Martin

Luke 6:43-45
“For a good tree does not bear bad fruit, nor does a bad tree bear good fruit.
 44For every tree is known by its own fruit.
 For men do not gather figs from thorns, nor do they gather grapes from a bramble bush.
 45A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good;
 and an evil man out of the evil [i]treasure of his heart brings forth evil.
 For out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!